Custom Yarns Blog

An online community linking knitting and fiber arts enthusiasts world-wide!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Who Taught You To Knit?


I can't remember when yarns and knitting weren't a part of my life and tried to think who was it who taught me to knit. I honestly can't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was my mother.

I find that newer knitters today learn from friends, knitting groups, online and Stitch 'N Bitches. Newer knitters want quick projects like socks and scarves. My contemporaries knitted sweaters, but I find if someone is knitting a sweater today it is for a baby.

When I first learned the yarn everyone used was a DK navy blue wool. How far the industry has come....... Now Great Adirondack, Berroco, Trendsetter, etc. produce the most unbelievable yarns in fibers such as alpaca, mohair, cashmere, ribbon, merino and cotton.

Who could have predicted that sequins, beads and something called eyelash would one day be a component with yarn? Who would know when I learned to knit that there are more stitches than just garter and stockinette? What would my mom say about freeform knitting? I think she'd be amazed!

Mirror, mirror on the wall I am my mother after all!

So, I'm curious to know - who taught you to knit and how have things changed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home